Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Time to blog!

Welcome Week is less than 3 weeks away, so it's time to get started here at the Butler Bark.

You know, the strangest thing about your first post on a blog is always the fact that you don't yet have an audience, so it feels like you're talking to yourself. But everything has a beginning, doesn't it?

For me, it's the beginning of what will hopefully be a great experience in Indianapolis. Although not a native, I have a lot of ties and a lot of pride in the state of Indiana, and I'm happy to have wound up at Butler.

But I don't want the blog to be about me, about what I had for breakfast, about how many times I've lost my wallet, etc.

No, I want to put out something that's a bit more of a product, more of an informative contribution to our story here on campus.

The Bark can be a lot of things. I'm not going to pigeon-hole it. I certainly may use it as a supplement to the work I do for our newspaper, the Collegian.

But nevertheless there are a couple of primary running narratives I want to cover here.

One is the world of sports, both nationally and locally. That means the best collection of information I can put together on Butler teams and it means all you need to know about the Pacers and Colts. It means you get to hear my never-humble opinions on the goings-on.

And it means what I hope will be one of the Bark's main attractions--Live Blogging the Bulldog basketball games.

The other thing I want to keep track of here is the 2008 presidential campaign. Freshmen like myself are pretty fortunate to have turned 18 in an election year, and it's something I want more people to be informed about.

We're in college at a time in which America is sort of at a crossroads, politically, economically, culturally, and in terms of our safety.

So hopefully I can examine all that and be informative and entertaining at the same time. That's a little bit of the idea behind the blog.

For the full story, you'll have to read the Bark and find out. Shout-outs always welcome, and good luck to everybody this school year.

No comments: